Hi everyone!

Having had another procedure this week, I thought it essential to blog tonight and let everyone know that my procedure yesterday went very well. My Mom bundled me off to hospital mid-morning in the rain that had continued since the night before. The gentle drizzle throughout the night was awesome to relax me for my procedure the next day. Dad met us at the hospital, and I was admitted. Admissions was hectic, as there seemed to be lots of people needing to go into hospital, but before long the paper work was done and I was allocated a bed in the paediatrics ward. This was quite exciting, as to date I’d only been in the neo-natal unit at Morningside Medi-Clinic.

Off we headed to the ward, but not before we stopped off at the labour ward to say hello to everyone there. Kate greeted us at reception and was ecstatic at seeing me and the progress I had made. We had a nice long chat and then we headed upstairs. We popped into neo-natal unit to say hello to all my old friends there, and then were entered the paediatrics ward. I was allocated a cot and then the three of us waited for some time. Dr Welch, my anaesthetist, came by and we had a chat about the procedure and my vitals were checked, giving me the all clear to have the procedure. We had to wait some more, and it was around this time that the novelty of the new ward started wearing off, and I began to remember the pain and discomfort associated with the noises and sounds of a hospital. I began to cry a little and Mommy tried her best to comfort me, but alas, I couldn’t block the sounds and smells out, and I knew that I was going to experience some discomfort and pain again. Before long I was undressed and taken to the theatre. Mom donned some scrubs and went with me as far as she was allowed before relinquishing me to the theatre staff. I had already bid Dad farewell at the theatre door.

I was anaesthetised at around 14:25, and then I don’t remember anything more. It was a relatively short procedure and by 15:30 I was awake again, but screaming! I was starving, as I had been NPO (nil per oral) since 9:30 in the morning. Additionally, I was really uncomfortable from the procedure, so I opted to scream about that as well. Unannounced Mom and Dad stormed into the theatre. They could hear my wails from the passage leading to the theatre and couldn’t bear it anymore, so they illegally entered the theatre. The staff were accommodating, as they could tell that I needed my Mommy and Daddy. The wait to go back to the ward seemed like forever, and eventually my Dad was banished from the theatre, but my Mom stayed to comfort me some more. Eventually I was handed over back to the ward staff and we headed back to the ward. Although I was really weak from the procedure and the anaesthetic I managed to poke my hand through the blankets and give everyone the thumbs-up to say I was ok!

Once at the ward I was observed for what seemed like forever, and then eventually in the evening, I was declared fit to be discharged. I was ecstatic, as I was really fearing spending another night in the hospital after finally being home. Having experienced how nice it was at home, I really wasn’t too keen to have to stay in hospital again. Because I previously had no reference of what it was like home, I wasn’t too perturbed about being in hospital for so many months after my birth, but now I had experienced the wonders of home, and it is the best place in the world.

It was dark by the time Mom and I arrived home, with Dad arriving a short while later (as we were in two cars, as Dad first went to work in the morning). Also, with all the rain we’ve had these past few days, Dad has opted to abandon his bike for the time being. Once inside, Mom immediately took me to my room and changed me and administered my take-home meds. I was really glad to get these, as they knocked me out for a few hours at a time. As a result, the night wasn’t too bad, as Mom kept tabs on my pain and hunger and cared for me accordingly.

By morning I was over the majority of the pain and only felt mild discomfort. Dad did my cares before leaving for work and then I hung around in my cot alone for a while. I have started to learn how to keep myself occupied while I’m alone, which I think my Mom and Dad are quite happy about. Mom spent much of the day caring for me and we took it really easy, putting my social schedule on the back burner until I had fully recovered from my procedure. Late in the afternoon Dad arrived home and took over my cares. He feed me almost 60% of my feed via the bottle, and then he administered my meds. After my tummy had settled Dad bathed me, and got me ready for bed, but not before I would get a chance to write this blog!

Before I go tonight I must also share the wonderful news with you that at my weigh-in at the Baby Club on Monday I achieved 5360 grams, which is 240 grams more than my previously weigh-in last week of 5120 grams. This means that I’ve consistently put on 240 grams each for the past two weeks. I’m really hoping I can sustain this bulk-up! If you’re interested, my other vital statistics are that my head circumference is now 42½ cm, and I’m 61 cm tall.

Thank you to all of you for all your positive thoughts, wishes and prayers yesterday while I underwent my seventh procedure. Thank you also for sending hosts of magnificent angels and guardians to watch over me and my medical team while I underwent yet another procedure. To help me and you keep track of all my procedures, I’ve opted to put a little chart together as a reference:


Date (click on date to go to that blog posting)


My Age at the time



Friday, 27 June, 2008

Embolisation of vein of Galen b.m.o. radio intervention surgery and sterile super-glue

8 days old



Wednesday, 13 August, 2008

Second embolisation of vein of Galen b.m.o. radio intervention surgery and sterile super-glue

8 weeks old



Thursday, 18 September, 2008 (morning)

Deployment of coils in the fistula in my head to occlude the blood flow; attempt was unsuccessful, as the flow was so strong that the coils were flushed away, however a micro-catheter was coiled five times over in the fistula

13 weeks old



Thursday, 18 September, 2008 (evening)

Insertion of Amplatzer PFO Occluder b.m.o. a craniotomy and deployment of some coils behind the Amplatzer

13 weeks old



Thursday, 25 September, 2008

Deployment of coils behind the Amplatzer (3 larger Boston Coils and 1 smaller EB3 coil)

14 weeks old



Wednesday, 15 October, 2008

PEG procedure (percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy) to put a gastronomy tube in my tummy through which I can be fed

17 weeks old

Morningside Medi-Clinic


Tuesday, 11 November, 2008 (this blog posting)

Repair to bilateral inguinal hernia

20½ weeks old

Morningside Medi-Clinic


Good night for now.

Lots of love, hugs and kisses,


Figure 1 Mom in scrubs to take me into theatre – I prefer this mode of transport as opposed to being wheeled into theatre on a bed

Figure 2 Even Mom’s super-sexy high heels were covered up

Figure 3 Coming out of theatre I managed a weak thumbs-up

Figure 4 Today I started gripping stuff properly

Figure 5 Peek-a-bee from Aunty Bee (Birgitt)

Figure 6 Three stunning organic cotton outfits from Emma, Johan and Emma’tjie

Figure 7 A Bababoo outfit and bibs from Sharon and Marc (my God-Mommy and God-Daddy)

Figure 8 Three little finger-puppets also arrived from my God-Mommy & God-Daddy

Figure 9 Sharon and Marc sent this little fellow in Lederhosen as a testament to my heritage!

Figure 10 To keep tabs on my hectic social life, Sharon and Marc have provided my Mommy and Daddy with a kikki.K planning kit

4 Comments on Thumbs Up!

  1. Gillian Lederer says:

    Hello Lederer Family

    Well now lets get back to the job at hand …. picking up weight nicely and growing like a weed. Good Job Jarrod you aced both of those 🙂 Your Mom really looked stylish and chic in her “blue booties for stilletoes” – I must tell Kirsten (because you know she is planning to go to med school) and always one for dressing up – she is not one for standard issue uniforms – got to accessorize 🙂

    Glad all has gone well.

    Lots of Love
    Gillian, Oliver, Ryan and Kirsten

  2. Bronwyn says:

    Good morning

    Hope you are all well on this wet, rainy day!

    So glad to hear that all went well with your procedure, really is gr8 news!!

    Well done with the weight gain, really is awesome to see you growing so nicely and getting bigger and stronger.

    Just love your mommy’s outfit, very very stylish!

    Love to you all

    Bronwyn, Gary, Brannon, Rhianne

  3. Isabella says:

    Hiya Jarrod,

    I finally got home, 143 days later. It is so nice to be home, now I understand what you were going on about. It’s so quiet and peaceful. Mommy says that plenty of rest and fresh farm air will make me better much quicker. It’s wonderful, I get to lie in and bath in the aftrenoon. I have a beautiful room and listen to my ipod too. Mommy and Daddy have chased my cats outside, apparently they have ringworm… woops I don’t want that!! I hope you will come visit me soon on the farm, I really miss you and I know my mommy misses your mommy too. I love your blog, we have spent the whole evening reading it and looking at your lovely pic’s. I will send you one of me soon.
    Lots of love and hugs

    Your friend Isabella Murray

  4. Claudi says:

    Hi there,

    It is great to hear that you have gained weight! Hope you recover well from your last procedure, and that I would see you soon.

    Greetings Claudi 🙂

Leave a Reply