Hi all,

Monday my Mom got up at 5:00 in the morning and stayed awake! This was so much fun as Mom is not much of a morning person and I was able to test her a little bit. I have realised that no matter of how much she is struggling, all I have to do is smile at her and I’ll pretty much get anything I want. I felt a small little victory! The reason I’m still getting up at 4:00 and 5:00 in the morning has finally been established. Why this time may seem strange is that I’m on a four hour eating schedule, which means that I eat at 2am, so theoretically I shouldn’t really wake till about 5:30am. The 4 am thing has had Mom and Dad, more so Mom as she gets up, perplexed for a few weeks now. Finally the penny dropped; in the NNICU this was when the day officially started. I would be woken out of sleep and dumped into a bath, so I’m still pre-programmed to respond defensively to this rude awakening. I found out that little Izy is also doing the self same thing, our Mommies both thought something was really wrong.

So now I need to be un-programmed. At the moment, all Mommy does to make it better is pick me up and cuddle me, that works quite well – my ploy of making it into their bed is working quite well I think. Please, no one tell them!

Later on Monday, by the time I had woken from my 8am nap, Mom was dressed and ready to make a move. I was quickly washed and creamed and put into some shorts and a T-shirt (sorry to my U.K. buddies about the early snow you had) because it was a hot Johannesburg day. We were off to Baby Club. I was really quite grumpy with the heat but the to-do list for today in was very short this morning, and off we went. Mommy decided it was important that I have my rotavirus inoculation as this has a limit of 6 months since birth so Sister Lindie very expertly gave this to me . . . since then Mommy is still wondering how come when she gives me meds orally I end up throwing everything in my tummy back at her. The exciting news of course is MORE WEIGHT GAIN! I now weigh 5860g from 5580g a whole 280 grams heavier.

Next we headed off to the shops to buy a pressie (later this will be revealed in more detail) and then onto Dr Nicoletta Hay, my heroine. I was quite excited to see her; in fact everyone at her offices are so nice to me, and I do enjoy visiting them. Sr. Annalise was told about my weight and had a quick chat with Dr Enrico Maraschin. Dr. Nicoletta was very happy with my progress. They both marvelled at the beautiful work Prof Beale had done with the hernia procedure. Mommy had to confess to a few little Mommy additions to my eating regime over the last month, even though they were not strictly supposed to happen, like, the fact that I won’t eat cereal but will eat my vegetables, and sweet potato rocks (see attached pics). Mommy also told Dr. Nicoletta that she sometimes gives me Fortris, but my doctor told Mommy she was just going to ignore her and pretend she didn’t hear that (apparently its not that good for me). So maybe the sweet nectar will be stricken off my list of nummies. I heard Mommy say that she’s not a 100% organic Mommy! I don’t know what this means, but are Mommies organically grown??

In passing, I heard Mommy saying to Daddy that projects are easier to manage than babies, and that she is in such admiration of all the people who do this full time. Although I also heard her say that when I smile, she can just melt and have 10 more of me. The proviso being no more wrinkles or grey hair. She’s really funny.

Mom has again been trying new things with me, because I wake up screaming at 4:00 am in the morning, Mommy has changed the schedule so that I eat then, so that I feel comforted and not so stressed. It’s working so much better for me. To all my friends out there… a 2 am feed is not as good as a 4 am feed.

I believe I actually look fatter these days… and Lisle, Mommy says, how things have changed; she actually used to stash her Winex wine in the corner where my Infatrini is now stored. Did you ever think you would see that day? However, she says you need to come drink some with her, not Infatrini, but wine, as she needs to discuss with you the fact that you promised to go to gym when I picked up weight, and she wants to talk you out of it.

I then started my catch up with inoculations even further. I had my Prevenar and Infanrix Hexa as Dr. Nicoletta thought I was strong enough to start these. Sr. Annalise expertly dispensed these and Mom was briefed on what may happen during the course of the night… neither Mom or I were prepared on this front, but we didn’t want to wait any longer. I have to go back to the post-natal nursery at the hospital for my BCG. Mom wasn’t keen on doing that today as we had another date.

Off we went to the NNICU, there I saw Lebo, Eleanor, and Kombe. It was nice catching up with them. I took them a little gift to say thank you and wrote each of them a little special card to remember me by. Soon I was off again, and stopped by briefly on the way home to give Granny, Tammy, Aunty Kim and Shannon a quick cuddle but not before I entertained them with a series of well timed and orchestrated smiles.

Back at home, Mom did some OT with me and we had a marathon feeding session. Soon Daddy was home with me, and he was apprised of the whole day’s activities in order to keep him up to speed. Then Sr. Audrey arrived with my spare MIC-Key and after that my Dad bathed me and I let it be known in no uncertain terms, that although I didn’t have a fever or feel sick, I did not want to be left alone, and wanted to be held for as long as possible without being put down. Mom put it down to the vaccinations.

On Tuesday morning I realised that there was no flurry of activity, we weren’t on our way anywhere. Mom and I just chilled at home, and I set about feeling better by sleeping. I was surprised that Opa didn’t visit as he usually does, but Oma was not well so he couldn’t come.

By 12 Mom was on a mission. You see little Roxy my staffie went on a walkabout on Sunday sometime and this made Mommy very worried. Dad had done a poster and Mom printed it and we went off down the road with the old man Jake the staffie and my pram to see if we could find her and to put posters in everyone’s mail boxes. This was quite a different thing for us to do… now I’ve seen my neighbourhood by foot as it were.

As we arrived home and I settled in for a drink, Mom had a phone call and Roxy’s location had been secured. Soon we were off to OT with Lauren. Mommy was told I need more tummy time and brushing time due to my sensory defences. Soon we were travelling home, and we arrived there at about the same time as Dad did. He quickly dismounted his bike, swapped it for the Merc, and went off to collect Roxy. I guess he couldn’t collect Roxy on the bike, although it conjures up really funny images in my mind!

Wednesday I saw Dr. Sonja; she worked on my back which is really tight, and Mommy got more exercises to do with me on the exercise ball. After that we just chilled for the rest of the day. It was quite a stressful day as Oma had been admitted to hospital the previous night. Daddy got home really late on Wednesday, as he spent most of the day at the hospital and work. I did wake up to give him a smile after his hard day.

On Thursday Lynne came for a cup of tea, and later in the afternoon I went to Bronwyn to meet some more of Mommy’s friends. Mommy had a SMS chat to Helen as well, to find out about my friend Isabella, they were on their way to PE to the doctor for a weigh in. Good Luck Izy.

By the time we got home on Thursday afternoon, there was a flurry of activity around the house, and pretty soon I realised we were going to Opa, as it had been confirmed that Oma was really not well by now. Thursday evening the three of us, and Opa, spent the night at the hospital, mostly at Oma’s bedside.

Sadly my dear Oma passed away on Friday 28 November, 2008 at 1:11am, after a two year battle with breast cancer. Although I managed to still kiss my Oma goodbye in ICU on Thursday night, I’m devastated at the fact that I will not be able to spend Christmas with her. Over the past few months we have both fought our afflictions valiantly, and it is so sad that we both didn’t have the same successes.

Sometime early on Friday morning we all headed to Opa’s house, and we were really sad. Mom, Dad and I eventually settled in in Aunty Birgitt’s old bedroom, but we had just about closed our eyes when the sun was making an appearance again. Pretty soon Mom and I headed off to Dr. Sonja to get my back and neck right, while my Dad stayed with Opa and began to make all the necessary arrangements for Oma’s funeral. Late on Friday, my Dad arrived home again and we spent a pretty sombre evening together. Mom and Dad weren’t able to stay up too late as they had hardly slept in the past 24 hours; I decided it was only fair to oblige them a good night’s rest. Saturday was another whirlwind of activity, which ended off with a very late night visit to the airport. This was my second visit to the airport, but my first to International Arrivals. I was so excited, I was finally meeting my Uncle Oliver from America who was arriving for my Oma’s funeral. I just wished that it was under different circumstances.

Sunday Uncle Oliver and Opa came to visit; we all sat outside and spent much of the afternoon chatting about Oma, and how absolutely wonderful she was. I know that I’m really going to miss her, and I really wished I’d had the chance to get to know her better

Good night everyone.

Lots of love, hugs and kisses,


Figure 1 Some Sweet Potato did make it into my mouth!

Figure 2 Sweet Potatoe Rocks!

Figure 3 Ok Mom, enough already!

Figure 4 Dad found Mom and I passed out

Figure 5 Post bath smiles

Figure 6 Wolfing done some butternut and apple sauce

Figure 7 I know its a little early, but Uncle Oliver brought me this Santa hat from Aunty Gillian

5 Comments on Goodbye my Oma

  1. Gillian Lederer says:

    Love, Love, Love the Hat – I hope that Mom doesn’t have to cut off the feet of the onesie because you are growing like a weed – but it is specifically only meant for this Christmas seeing that it says “Baby’s first Christmas” So I hope it fits just for one day.

    So glad that you get to meet your uncle Oliver – I am so green with envy. Kirsten and Ryan and I will have to wait a bit to come over and see you.

    Uncle Oliver says you are a real cutie pie so I will just have to take his word for it.

    Yes it is really sad that Oma has gone and the first thing that Kirsten and Ryan said was “Who was going to give Jarrod chocolate” – (She always gave them multiple bars of Ritter without telling me 🙂 ) But I believe that Opa has already started doing this so I guess you are never going to have a shortage.

    Your Oma loved you very much and I am sure that she wanted to stay longer but now she is free from her pain and suffering. RIP Oma.

    Love to your Mom, Dad and of course your uncle Oliver 🙂

    Gillian, Ryan and Kirsten – MN USA

  2. Hi Lederer Family,

    So happy to see that Jarrod is doing so well. You are a real tough little man and we are all very proud of you.

    We are so sorry to hear of the passing of your Oma – I am sure she will be watching you from heaven with a big smile and NO MORE machines, pain and discomfort.

    Best wishes,
    Stefan, Jean and Ethan

  3. Bronwyn says:

    Love and best wishes to you all, really sorry to hear about your Oma, really is sad news, I am sure she is in a better place, without all the pain, and watching down on you all.

    Love to you all
    Bronwyn, Gary, Brannon, Rhianne

  4. Claudi says:

    Hi there,

    I am sorry to hear about Norwin’s mom. I wish you guys strengh and piece in this sad time.

    Thinking of you guys,
    Greetings Claudi

  5. Lisle says:

    Jarrod, Norwin and Lynn. I am sorry to hear about OMA. I have inserted my favourite poem….. and Dedicate it to your OMA. I believe she wouldn’t mind me leaving this “on her behalf” for you to read.

    If tomorrow starts without me, And I’m not there to see, If the sun should rise and find your eyes All filled with tears for me; I wish so much you wouldn’t cry The way you did today, While thinking of the many things, We didn’t get to say.

    I know how much you love me, As much as I love you, And each time that you think of me, I know you’ll miss me too; But when tomorrow starts without me, Please try to understand, That an angel came and called my name, And took me by the hand,

    And said my place was ready, In heaven far above, And that I’d have to leave behind
    All those I dearly love. But as I turned to walk away, A tear fell from my eye, For all my life, I’d always thought, I didn’t want to die.

    I had so much to live for, So much left yet to do, It seemed almost impossible,
    That I was leaving you. I thought of all the yesterdays, The good ones and the bad,
    I thought of all that we shared, And all the fun we had.

    If I could relive yesterday, Just even for a while, I’d say good-bye and kiss you And maybe see you smile.

    But then I fully realized, That this could never be, For emptiness and memories, Would take the place of me.

    And when I thought of worldly things, I might miss come tomorrow, I thought of you, and when I did, My heart was filled with sorrow.

    But when I walked through heaven’s gates, I felt so much at home. When God looked down and smiled at me, >

    From His great golden throne, He said, “This is eternity, And all I’ve promised you.” Today your life on earth is past, But here life starts anew. I promise no tomorrow,
    But today will always last, And since each day is the same way, There’s no longing for the past.

    So when tomorrow starts without me, Don’t think we’re far apart, For every time you think of me, I’m right here, in your heart “

Leave a Reply